Thursday 3 April 2014

Aquaponics as a Retirement Plan

My name is Tony The Tiger.

I have been working for a long time.

Like some people in the corporate world, I do get tired of the rat race. For a long time, I've been thinking about what I would do when one day I no longer want to chase another project, have another meeting, or write another report.

By all standards, I am not a rich man nor can I retire with a jet-set life. There are two questions to answer:

1) what do I do on a day-to-day basis after retirement?
2) how to sustain life without constantly depleting the retirement funds?

I chanced upon this sustainable farming call Aquaponics. It is basically a concept where you raise fish and grow vegetable by using the bio-waste form the fish to provide nutrients to the plants with minimum wastage of water as opposed to typical aquaculture set-up.

The basic technique is very simple and it is scalable from a single fish tank + 2 grow beds to a huge farm.

There's a guy in KL, Affnan, that has a very informative blog that is rich with information. He is my inspiration.

 Affnan's Aquaponics

Our family has a few acres of land in Muar, Johor, Malaysia and my plan in one years time is to start a farm in that land. I am very confident that:

1) I have something to do everyday.
2) Grow enough food to sustain myself and my family. 

This blog is to record my journey on this new beginning. I will also share information and success stories of people practicing Aquaponics around the world.

Here's some picture:

Credit: http://www.aquaponicsinternational.com/

Credit: http://aquaponicsfish.landscapeideasandpicture.com
Credit: Dave Love


Happy Farming.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Ekor.. Haha, good nick name. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete