Saturday 12 April 2014

Comcorp

Today, I visited the only "commercial" Aquaponics enterprise in Singapore. They only started a few months ago. That goes to show how little people have caught on to Aquaponics.

I suppose Singaporeans are too rich. So if you need vegetables and fruit, you just go buy it at the supermarket rather than growing your own.

Anyway, I hope they succeed. Although I think they have a difficult task ahead. The problem is if you want to supply to hotels and restaurants, you have to have a large varieties of offerings. And if you want to stick to a few varieties and sell them to wholesalers, you need a very large quantities of each to achieve the economies of scale.

Floating system with IBC.

Non-Aquaponics section.


Their fish tank is 1,800 litres but surprisingly very few tilapias. Some tanks have 20-50 mid-size fish. Some tanks has couple of hundreds fingerling. But with that tank size, I think they need more fish.

The conventional wisdom is 1 fish to every 10 litres of water in the fish tank. So that will work out to be 180 adult tilapias per tank. Probably need more if the fish is below 400g - 500g.








Some tomatoes:



They are growing mostly basil and mint. I think later they will add in more varieties of vegetables and herbs. But it's a good start, I think.



Happy Farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment