Saturday 5 April 2014

Hort Park

I've been living in Singapore for 7 years and never even knew Hort Park existed until my wife told me today.

I went to meet some European guy who are doing some aquaponic stuff in Singapore. Quite interesting chap really. Hopefully we can work together in the future.

Then my wife said why don't we go over to this place? I'm always on for an adventure. After a short drive, we reached Hort Park. This place is run by National Parks of Singapore. N-Parks is probably the only civil service department that is doing exceptional work.


It is free to enter and it is pet friendly. So, my two dogs, Ah Wat and Ah Fat, will have a new place to ranjau-ranjau. Very cool.

And today it was drizzling a bit so it was a nice respite from the heat that we have in Singapore for the last few weeks.

This nice design of flower pot greeted us at the entrance and we knew this would be a place that we like to hang out on weekends.

There is a section for vegetables. Since I am into Aquaponics now, this blog's focus would be about product of food. The other parts of the park is nice too. More of that later.

 
There we found a variety of vegetables typical of this part of the world. But this is more like for children a tourist. Not really for someone who is serious about farming.









Oh forgot to mention that there's a cafe plus retail shop at the beginning of the park. More for the arty-farty type of people.


This part also do some research of growing plants from colder climate


After that, the plants will be moved to the Gardens By The Bay.



Apparently, you can write to NParks and apply to volunteer there. And you will be allocated a small planting area to cultivate some vegetables. I an definitely gong to email them. This will be free. and I get some space to test out what variety of plants will go into my future grow bed.

This is really cool!!

Happy Farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment